Monday, September 13, 2010

Grilled Pork Neck - Yummy!

This is my clumsy attempt to try the recipe by David Thompson as posted by Chubby Hubby. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. Its got to work - grilled meat with a Thai sauce. Think fish sauce, chilli, meat on the grill - what can go wrong?  It was easy to do and left me and JK time to take some pictures. I followed the recipe loosely and there are some deviations.

So, here are the major ingredients. For the full recipe, do refer to the original source at chubby hubby's blog. I marinated the pork neck in fish sauce, sugar and (in deviation from recipe) lemon grass. The other  ingredients went to the sauce.

I marinated for several hours. Then, I heated up my grill pan and started cooking. The slow grill in this recipe allows me to start the grilling and prepare the sauce in the meantime. Ohh... the aroma of lemon grass on the grill........

I chopped up the some herbs for the sauce, here is basil (not in recipe), saw tooth coriander and chilli. The basil and saw tooth coriander are from my own little herb patch :). Saw tooth coriander is a beautiful herb, with an intense flavor identical to regular coriander (its the same chemical compound) but much easier to grow and maintain.
 And, I fried the chilli in a little oil (did not have the dried chilli called for in recipe)

In the meantime, the I tried to grill the pork on all sides. You see that fat and juice oozing out? It was not wasted, oh no, it went into the sauce!
And I got the sauce ready....
Added lemon (it should have been lime) juice and fish sauce ......
I left the coriander leaves out of the sauce, as JK hates this herb. Apparently, some folks can taste a substance in it and to them it tastes like soap. So I served this on the side (JK did not complain about the saw tooth coriander I did add)


And finally, after nearly an hour, I deemed the pork to be cooked....
And I curved it up....
And it still looked a little pink.... but that's the way I like pork - more juicy!
Here's the end product. The good news for me was that JK had a hard time deciding if the sauce should go on it - the pork was almost good enough on its own.
It was delicious, if I say so myself. Thanks to a great recipe. This is the first really new idea I have tried in a while! Eaten with hot jasmine rice and some fresh vegetables and of course, beer! It was a very nice dinner, and the sauce really brightened up some weeknight dinners later in the week. It's great over fish fingers too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment