Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lobster Dinner

 
My adventure on Valentine's Day.

Reluctant to pay an inflated price for dinner on this special day, I took matters into my own hands. This is the lobster I got from the Greenwood Fish Market. I must say I have never handled a live lobster before. I read about it, and the kind folks at Greenwood Fish Mart offered some advice (they would of course have split it for me).

So, I got hold of a knife.....




As you can see, it was a pretty large specimen.
Spliting the lobster was not as hard as I imagined:

And it was done, interestingly, there is an instant color change :


And having split it, I was really a little lost..... What exactly was edible and what not? I read about it all, but to see it was a little puzzling.....

I eventually figured that the dark green stuff is the roe and the light green stuff tomalley, all of it is edible

I removed and set aside all the green stuff, and started on the lobster half:
And the other half....
And of course we need some fire:
In the meantime, we start on some pasta


And we start to plate the lobster:
This frees up the pan, and we start to cook the tomalley and roe. The roe turns a very attractive bright orange, and the tomalley more or less retains its color. 

And in some cream


And in goes the pasta

 
Ready to go!



3 comments:

  1. Wow can't wait to see what you guys have up for next year =) can we do this in the lab? At least the lobster part =)

    Cheers and a super belated happy anniversary!

    Ai Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm....maybe a chem + physics lesson, theroy behind induction stove top and the chem qn of why the lobster change colour when heated

    ReplyDelete